Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Argument of Fact

While looking through my Cosmopolitan magazine I found an article title 'This Shot Can Save Your Life'. This article was about a vaccine which is said to protect you from HPV. The article explains that it is approved for girls ages 9-26 and can even be beneficial to those older too; however, 78 percent of Cosmo readers have yet to get the vaccine. HPV, which can be linked to cervical cancer and genital warps, can be prevented by the vaccine even if you have not already had the STD. The article explains that some people believe the vaccine is only benefitting women who are not sexually active, however Dr. Harper declares that "it works just as well against the four HPV types that shot covers." The article also warns that there have been a small percentage of woman who have reactions to the shot. However, out of the "13 millions doses distributed to date, about 550 women have reported serious side effects"
I believe this article does a very good job of using facts and statistics in order to encourage women to take a vaccine which could prevent them from getting HPV and all of the other bad effects and diseases that come along with it.

2 comments:

Michelle J. said...

I also believe that articles like this, containing a lot of statistics, encourage people to act on whatever the subject may be. After seeing numerous articles about the vaccination and what it can do to better the lives of all women, I decided to become "one less." I think that articles with statistics, especially health-related ones, usually have a pretty big influence on people's decisions and actions.

whopkins said...

The article seems very persausive and I think the statistics really help it out. I did not read this particular Cosmo, but I did take a class where we talked about this shot and I think it is good a magizine like this is talking about such life saving science.